Friday, October 23, 2009

No School - Inservice Day

What to do on an inservice day when you have 3 kids? I think that teachers do this to us on purpose. They spend 5 days a week with our wonderful children who behave like little angels in their presence. As soon as that bell rings, the hypnotic state they were in is broken and they turn back into those kids again. I love my children with all my heart, and I realize that they are what you make them, and every parent always says "I hope that you get kids just like you were when you were growing up", and like it or not, you do, but...

To top everything else off, today my husband decided that he would not go into work because he was not feeling well. Any woman who has ever had a significant "male" other knows full well, that when a man is sick, it is nothing like when a woman is sick. When we are sick, we are expected to retain all of our usual daily duties: clean the house, take care of the children, cook, get groceries, perform brain surgery, disarm small nuclear weapons, etc (lol). However, when a man is sick (no matter how sick he is or is not), the world must come to an end and must be catered to hand and foot - like it or not. There is never anyone on the planet more ill than he is. It is not possible that anyone could ever feel as badly as he did and that his symptoms are so much more severe than those of anyone else, etc. etc. etc.

After being away from home for a few days for our trip to New York, and then trying to catch up on my lack of sleep and loss of energy, I have been slightly behind in my housework (honestly, my bad, I know, but I was planning on catching up this weekend). Dear hubby decided that everything needed to be done TODAY! No if, ands or buts, and I was the only one who was responsible and that it needed to be perfect today. Lots of screaming and hollering, lots of work on my part, lots of laying down and resting on his... Seems fair right? I was never so happy in all my life to see someone go to sleep for the night.

this weekend should be a busy one:

Saturday:
  • At 10:00 mom and I have to go to my Grandmother's sisters memorial service (she passed away around Christmas last year and her family decided to bury her ashes this weekend. There will be a short service for immediate family only and then a small reception back at the family home after that.
  • At 10:00 until 12:00 Erik and Luke have Apple Day to participate in. They are both in Beavers this year. They are looking forward to standing around in their little uniforms and giving people apples for donations!
  • At some point on Saturday Andrew and his dad want to go up to their camp in Stewiacke and do some more work and throw some apples down for the deer to get ready for hunting season.
Sunday

  • Of Course Sunday morning means Church. Andrew will take the kids for mass from 11:00 until 12:00. If they are good, he will likely take them to McDonalds. I know that he shouldn't bribe them, however, that is the way it seems to work out each week.
  • Again Erik and Luke are busy with Beavers. Each year a different "Area" hosts what is called a "Beavereen". They all go to a local park and participate in various "Centres". The have lots of fun and get a crest for their participation. They learn about being outdoors, outdoor safety, etc. Erik went last year, and although it was cold, he had a ball. They always end with warm hot chocolate and cookies for the boys. This event is going on from 12 (or 1:00 I'll have to check) until 4:00, weather permitting. I hope they have a good day for it, as there will not be many days left that will be warm enough to enjoy it. I think it is even late this year. I am sure that they had it earlier last year for some reason.
I will probably go in and visit with my mom and Grandmother on Sunday as the Beavereen is off Purcell's Cove Road (pretty far from us - about 45 minutes). It makes for a long day, but, you do what you have to for your kids. It is always a lot of fun, and it is worth it for them to go.

Then I have to make sure that all the kids get their homework done, and their home reading. Even Luke has homework and is expected to be starting to read. He is only in Grade Primary (Kindergarden), and is taking French Immersion, and yet they are expected to be able to start reading. I remember when I was in grade primary we just had to know our ABC's, tie our shoe, and away we went to Grade 1. Wow, what a change. I guess it is all for the better. Kids do seem smarter these days, and need to know a lot more than we did (too bad their spelling and grammar isn't as good, or the teachers don't spend as much time on it!)

anyway, got a busy day ahead, got to get going. Keep in touch later.

No comments:

Post a Comment